Tuesday 3 June 2008

Nearly done for the year

Tomorrow, at 9AM, I have my last second year exam. Which really means that I should be studying, or possibly sleeping, but instead I'm watching Greek and eating my way through an M&S swiss roll.

The past week or so has been pretty awful. My ceiling has sprung a huge leak . there a crack running across it and every time it rains - which its been doing a lot more than usual this week - the rain gets inside my room too. Which has woken me up three times this week.

Look:

That aside, I've had two days when I've woken up with bad cramps, one so bad that I had to down so many painkillers I was hazy by the time I got to my exam, and couldn't get out of my room until just an hour before even then.

The exams themselves have been both ok and hellish (depending on which one). And the thing is, I usually use baking to destress, but I actually haven't had time. Until Sunday morning, when I finally had a break of more than 24 hours between two exams. So I mucked around in the kitchen and pulled together some ingredients from my cupboards and made chocolate-almond cake-biscuits.

They were originally supposed to be cupcakes. Then I relocated the ground almond and figured I'd toss some of that in. And then I made them little. And they turned out lovely and moist and intensley chocolately, and with a little bit of chocolate buttercream, and a sprinkle of icing sugar, they were lovely.




The picture's not great - the lighting in our kitchen is a bit off. But don't let it fool you.


Ingredients
2oz butter
2oz brown sugar
1oz flour
1/2 oz ground almond
1/2 oz cocoa powder
1 egg
1/2tsp baking powder

Mix the butter and sugar until soft and fluffy.
Beat in the egg.
Fold in the flour, ground almond baking powder and cocoa powder.
Spoon into cupcake pans and bake for 15 minutes at 180°C.
Ice with chocolate buttercream and sprinkle with icing sugar.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear, you sound like you've had a rough week, what with the leak and the cramps. But I'm sure those lovely cupcakes made your day! They look really chocolatey!

9 June 2008 at 17:35  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home