Tuesday 18 March 2008

Weight gain

My mum bought a set of bathroom scales yesterday, so for the first time in ages I actually weighed myself. And got a nasty shock. I knew I'd lost weight over the last term at uni - what with mild depression, lack of exercise and repercussions on my eating habits. What I didn't realise it that I'm now clinically underweight. So the challenge is - gain half a stone over my five week Easter holiday. At least. So I'm going to record what I weight when on here. Today's weight; 7St 13

It feels odd to be trying to gain weight, and I'm worried that I'll find it significantly harder than I should do. I started off with a second bowl of cereal for breakfast today, and the guilt (And slightly-too-full stomach) feeling has set in already. But I'll stick too it. At least it gives me an excuse to bake a lot and to eat all my Easter chocolate.

So here's the first weight-gain recipie (well, not really. I was planning on making these anyway). I love banana, I love walnuts - indeed, my current favourite Ben & Jerry's flavour is Chunky Monkey. I contemplated putting chocolate icing on them, but to be honest I don't think it would have worked all that well, so I went for honey buttercream again. And they went down very well as dessert. Without the icing, they'd make a great breakfast/mid-morning snack too.
















Banana and Walnut Cupcakes with Honey Buttercream Icing
(makes 6)
Oven 190°C

1 banana
2oz flour
2oz butter
2oz brown sugar
1 egg
1tsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp baking powder
6 whole walnuts, cut into chunks


Honey
Butter
Icing sugar
cold water


1. cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
2. beat in the egg
3. stir in the flour, mixed spice and baking powder
4. mash the banana in a seperate bowl
5. add the banana and walnut chunks to the mixture and mix until evenly distributed.
6. spoon into cupcake papers and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown on top. They will still be quite moist.


For the icing:
1. put the honey, butter and icing sugar into a bowl and mix, adding water when needed. I never measure how much I use, so just keep adding until you have the right consistency. Generally, a little less honey than butter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home