Thursday 3 April 2008

Easter Candy Baking Challenge Entry

So I’ve never cooked for a challenge before and I’ve never made cake balls either, but I’ve been reading around and fancied trying both, so here we go. This one is for Masterbaker's Easter challenge

I’m a fan of Easter eggs. I like the thin chocolate, I like how once a year you get to eat very sweet chocolate and not feel like I should be eating something a little better quality. And I like cake and icing, so I thought – why not combine the two. And because the one thing that always made me think twice about making cake balls was the whole dipping part, this seemed like a great solution.

These are really quite simple to make. The hardest part was splitting the chocolate eggs in half without them crumbling all over the place. But I managed to split enough for it to work. And then it’s all quite simple. Bake chocolate cake, make chocolate buttercream, icing, make cake balls, stuff in eggs and drizzle with melted dark chocolate. Yummy.

As far as I’m concerned, they were a success. They were very sweet, and I might try and use dark chocolate eggs next time round. And for aesthetic purposes, maybe drizzle with white chocolate. But they got eaten, and happily.

Cake filled Easter Eggs














Cake
2oz flour
2oz caster sugar
2oz butter
1 egg
1 tbsp cocoa powder
A few drops vanilla essence.

Icing
2oz icing sugar
1oz butter
½ tbsp cocoa powder
Water as needed

Approx 6 hollow Easter eggs (depending on size)
50g dark chocolate.

1. cream together the butter and sugar.
2. beat in the egg and vanilla essence.
3. fold in the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder.
4. Bake in a small tray for 15-20 minutes at 180°C.
5. for the icing, cream together the sugar, icing and butter, adding water to thin it if needed.
6. Once the cake is cool, crumble it and mix with the icing, then leave in the fridge for at least ½ hour.
7. break the eggs in half and then make balls out of the cake mixture and carefully fill the half egg shells with them.
8. Melt the chocolate over a pan of boiling water and drizzle over the cake side of the filled eggs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home