Thursday 26 June 2008

Chocolate Banana Cake

Because I’m now home from college, I have very little to do during the day besides bake and go on my dad’s brand new treadmill (which is probably quite a good combination!). Not everything I bake is worthy of display, but this one is, I think.

I love banana cake. Most of my family do. And it’s the perfect way to use up the over-ripe bananas that so frequently appear in our fruit bowl (because my dad and brothers only eat them slightly green and my mum and I don’t usually eat them as fruit).

I don’t usually follow a particular recipe, and this time, although I did browse the net a bit, was no real difference. I sort of followed this recipe from the BBC Good Food website, but made many modifications. I added cinnamon to the mixture instead of cocoa (not the same amount of course!) and put the chocolate in as chips instead of melted.

I didn’t grease the pan quite enough, so was left with a lot of cake sticking to the bottom, which required patching back on, so I felt I had to put something over the top. Chocolate frosting would have been too much, and any other flavour icing didn’t seem quite right. I finally decided on a very liquid chocolate ganache. It worked very well, and the cake is a huge success. Will definitely be making it again!

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Thistlemoon said...

You always see banana bread, but not banana cake. I wonder why that is....your is beautiful - I especially like the ganache!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!

30 June 2008 at 16:45  
Blogger Just Cook It said...

nice blog. And a tasty looking cake.

1 July 2008 at 09:04  
Blogger ShellyH said...

I love banana bread, banana cake, banana muffins...anything banana!

Welcome to the foodie blog roll.

1 July 2008 at 14:10  
Blogger A_and_N said...

slurp, munch, gulp! looks really nice!
Just out of curiosity , what role does the cream of tartar (which you used in your cookies) play? Is it just for flavor or does it help make the cookies fluffier?
thanks.
A.

1 July 2008 at 17:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh I believe that hits the right spot; banana with chocolate. yuMMy!!!

1 July 2008 at 17:19  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Oh man! That sounds so good! I will have to try that out :)

Welcome to the Foodie Blogroll!!

2 July 2008 at 04:29  
Blogger Adam said...

The cake looks great. With chocolate and banana, I don't think Dad or anyone is going to mind at all. Oh and welcome, fellow blogroller.

2 July 2008 at 16:26  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home